It’s zucchini season! Last night we improvised a super-tasty dinner starring the squash, and we thought you might want to try it out too.
All quantities in the “recipe” below are approximate – adjust according to taste or to the quantities you have on hand….
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons Nonna’s Red Spicy Pesto
- 1/2 pound fusilli or other short, chunky pasta
- 2 large zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/4″ half-moons
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced into a thin chiffonade
- about 6 tablespoons Salvatore Ricotta
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the pesto.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add pasta. When pasta has about 5 minutes left before being finished, add zucchini. When pasta is ready, reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta and vegetables.
Return the pasta and zucchini to the pot or to a large bowl. Stir in the pesto mixture and half the basil. Add some of the reserved pasta water if you want a juicier sauce.
Dole out your servings, and top each serving with a few dollops of ricotta and a garnish of basil.