Join us Thursday, July 24 at Adelina’s for a specially-paired wine and cheese flight – we’ve come up with some delicious pairings that you’ll want to try!
Eastern District News
Hello and Happy America’s Birthday to you!
Please note that Eastern District will close at 4 PM today Friday, July 4, so come on in to get your beer, cheese, and cookout fixin’s early.
If you’re looking for suggestions about some of that beer and cheese, read on!
GREAT BBQ BEER
Summer grill-outs are the perfect occasions for craft beer in cans – cans are lightweight, hard to break, and easy to recycle. Some of our summer favorites this year are:
- Peak Organic Fresh Cut Pilsner: crisp and lightly hoppy, for a flavor much more interesting than the average pils. We stocked up on 12-packs and they’re on sale for just $21 each.
- Founders All Day IPA: full IPA flavor with a lower alcohol content. If you hadn’t noticed, Founders started packing these in 15-packs instead of 12-packs, but kept the price the same! These are $24 each.
NEW AND RETURNING CHEESES
With the changing seasons we’re trying out some different cheeses and bringing back some that aren’t available in the early part of the year:
- Grafton Village Queen of Quality Clothbound Cheddar is made from 100% extra-rich and creamy Jersey cow milk, then cave-aged for at least six months. Firm, flaky, nutty and sharp, with a touch of floral sweetness.
- Lazy Lady Farm Sweet Caroline is made from a blend of goat and cow milk, and washed with Russian black stout as it ages. The result is soft, smooth, fresh and extra-tangy.
- Meadow Creek Dairy Grayson is a returning favorite. Right now we’re tasting the very first batch of the year (it’s only made from the flavorful milk that cows produce when grazing on fresh green pastures). It’s a little stinky, but the luscious milk flavors and sweet creaminess keep the funk under control.
We’ll be celebrating the holiday with great American cheese and beer (along with smoked meats and fireworks) – we hope you do too!
We’re enjoying the latest addition to our shelves: La Fundidora hand-crafted salsa! It comes in 3 delectable flavors:
- Fresca: Green salsa with fresh tomatillos and select serrano chiles
- Humo: Smoky red tomato salsa with chipotle, morita and pasilla chiles
- Fuego: Bright red salsa with ripe tomatoes, tomatillos and guajillo and arbol chiles
Try them all when the makers of La Fundidora come in for a FREE tasting on Saturday, July 12 from 4-6PM!
As the days warm up, a cheesemonger’s thoughts and cravings turn from toasty grilled cheese sandwiches to cool, fresh cheeses – especially creamy, fresh ricotta.
Lately we’ve been inspired to whip up lots of simple snacks featuring Salvatore Bklyn Fresh Ricotta and Acorn Hill Fresh Goat’s Milk Ricotta. The slightly sweet, milky flavor and luscious texture of either cheese make a great centerpiece for all kinds of salty or sweet combinations, like:
- Ricotta on Leksands Crispbread with radishes, chives, black pepper and Amagansett lemon sea salt
- Ricotta on Z Crackers topped with Ortiz anchovies
- Ricotta on baguette slices, drizzled with Mike’s Hot Honey
- Ricotta and fresh strawberries on Effie’s Oatcakes
Arethusa Blue is a brand new cheese that we’re very excited to have! Hailing from Litchfield, CT, it is extra creamy, sweet, with just the right amount of blue spiciness and salt. As an added bonus, we also have Arethusa Farm’s delicious, fresh yogurt!
Do you know someone who deserves a delicious gift box from Eastern District this spring? We’ve added two new selections to our online store: an instant picnic, and a special Mother’s Day selection. Order online and we will ship for you, or drop in to the store to pick one up and deliver it yourself.
We have Mother’s Day gift boxes packed and ready for you to pick up now – the picnic boxes do require an hour or so of advance notice since they contain perishable items.
Click through below for the full descriptions, and to place your order!
Eastern District is hiring!
We are seeking an experienced, part-time sales associate.
- Assist customers with product selection
- Cut and wrap cheeses and meats to order
- Prepare sandwiches
- Stock shelves
- Arrange product displays
- Experience with and passion for craft beer and artisanal cheese
- Strong sense of hospitality and customer service
- Reliable, organized, and self-motivated
- Retail marketing experience a plus
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re planning some updates to this website! Do you have any suggestions, requests, demands? Let us know in the comments section or at email@example.com!
Drop in for a FREE tasting of New York honey, maple syrup, and honey chocolate truffles from Catskill Provisions.
We’ll be enjoying the sweet stuff on Saturday, March 15 from 4-6PM.